Industry update: more on fan experience, stadium renovation and construction
Read more on several stadium development and renovation projects, sustainability and see examples of fan engagement in this short stadium industry update by ESSMA.
- FC Bayern Munich will offer fans the opportunity to watch the game from a custom-built Courtyard by Marriott hotel box at the Allianz Arena. The club and Marriott International have signed a multi-year partnership thereby becoming FC Bayern Munich’s official hotel partner.
- Chelsea FC will increase their wheelchair spaces from 108 to 219. These will be available from the start of the 2018/19 season. As a result, the stadium capacity will be reduced by 800 seats to accommodate the extra wheelchair spaces.
- Manchester City FC is joining the Show the Love campaign, led by the Climate Coalition, to raise awareness of environmental issues in local communities. The club recently received a gold LEED certificate for their Training Academy which absorbs carbon dioxide and produces zero waste.
- Tottenham Hotspur’s new White Hart Lane stadium has entered a critical 3-week phase with the start of lifting the £20m roof. The roof will support the stadium’s floodlighting, with six LED sports lights on each of the 54 flying columns, which links the stands to the upper tension rings.
- Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium hosted the opening ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympic and Paralympic games. The pentagonal temporary and open-air stadium will be dismantled after the Olympics to become a multi-purpose exhibition centre and museum dedicated to the Olympics.
- VOGO Sport, an ESSMA Corporate Partner,and Panasonic cooperate during the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic gamesto implement a new watching system on the Vogo Sport app. Fans are able to choose from a wide variety of camera angles when watching figure skating events. They are also able to view replays, slow motion and zoom in on that same live footage.
- England Rugby Hospitality work together with a Virtual Reality specialists to introduce the new Twickenham Stadium hospitality packages to potential clients and fans. The 360-degree projection dome is designed to showcase the hospitality experiences that will be implemented at the stadium in Autumn 2018.