Industry update: new plans in Germany, Italy and Mexico
Catch up on the first Stadium Industry Updates of 2022!
Development & construction
- SSC Bari’s Stadio San Nicolo will soon be renovated. The stadium was originally built for the World Cup in 1990 and has a capacity of approximately 58,000 seats. The Stadio San Nicolo will have to see some improvements in order to meet the requirements of the Serie B.
- In Berlin, both Hertha and Union have plans concerning their stadiums. Union Berlin wants to add a second tier to the current standing terraces. The capacity of Stadion An der Alten Försterei would increase by 15,000 places. However, this enlargement could cause problems for the neighbourhood (e.g. traffic problems).
©1. FC Union Berlin
- Hertha Berlin on the other hand desires to build a new stadium close to the Olympiastadion. The new stadium wouldn’t have an athletics track and would be smaller to make it feel more like a football stadium. This project will depend on the citizens of the surrounding area, as residential apartments would have to be demolished.
- Populous, a corporate partner of ESSMA, will design a new stadium for Tigres UANL. The Mexican team wants a multifunctional stadium of 65,000 seats.
Operations and ticketing
- Hannover 96 has a new naming-rights sponsor for its stadium. As from now the HDI-Arena will be called the Heinz Von Heiden-Arena. The construction firm was the shirt- and main sponsor for seven years and now prolongs its engagement by becoming naming-rights sponsor for the next five years.