During the 2017 UEFA Champions League Final between Juventus F.C. and Real Madrid C.F. travelling fans had the opportunity to use the Cardiff 2017 Travel Guide App to enjoy a smooth and pleasurable experience before and during the final.
The main challenge to address was the limited transport and accommodation capacity in the city of Cardiff. As a result, Steer Davies Gleave developed a solution in which all travelling fans were helped. The Cardiff 2017 Travel Guide App, an event-focused digital product, presented a dynamic and personalised way to engage with fans.
As part of the app, the platform brought together market-leading technology vendors, which included a location intelligence solution that augmented the situational awareness and geo-targeted messaging and deliver:
- Real-time visualisation of fan movement in a qualitative and quantitative form via heat maps and dashboards delivered via an intuitive web console
- Real-time app user audience segmentation based on geo-behaviour. Segments used to for targeted push notification messaging
Its key objective was to address and aid travelling fans. In total over 10,000 fans downloaded the app with 500,000 screen views, an average of 7 sessions per user and 50 geo-targeted messages, with 30,000 messages sent. At the day of the final itself, there were over 5,000 active users.
The Cardiff 2017 Travel Guide App included:
- Match specific information
- Translation in five languages
- Cardiff tourism content
- Champions Festival content
- UEFA commercial partner activation
- Tailored journey planner module
- Ticket/travel purchasing links (including Uber)
- Accommodation links
Steer Davies Gleave, the designer of the app and Corporate Partner of ESSMA, is an independent, global consultancy advising on transport and mobility. Other major events during which they were involved in the planning and delivery are the Summer Olympics London 2012 and the Rugby World Cup 2015.
|Read more about Steer Davies Gleave|