STRI (Sports Turf Research Institute), established in 1929, is the world-leading consultancy for sports pitch design, research, construction and management, providing advice to more than 2,000 sports clubs each year. They are the appointed consultants for FIFA and provide advice on the development and maintenance of pitches to stadia across the globe.
Their team consists of world-renowned scientists and consultants, who support their clients through all the stages of pitch design and development, as well as providing comprehensive advice on the ongoing management of the turf. Their goal is to ensure that the highest quality playing surface is achieved and provides both durability and quality for all sports and events.
The range of services the STRI team offers:
- Pitch design and installation
- Pitch care and advice
- Multi-use stadia/events management
- Drainage and irrigation solutions
- Pitch quality performance
and knowledge training
What is our added value to ESSMA?
- Specialist advice and expertise on the full range of stadia pitch services
- International network of stadium clients
- Bespoke solutions tailored to suit each stadium’s requirements, budgets, timings and resources
Products & services
- Our team, of 75 staff, offers world-leading expertise in the design, consultancy, research and delivery of natural and artificial football pitches for stadia across the globe. We offer independent and impartial advice and deliver high quality pitches and solutions, often within critical timescales.
The services we offer for both natural and artificial pitches include:
- New Pitch Development
o Feasibility & Inception Studies
o Pitch Designs & Specifications
o Total Solution Delivery – with full project management of design and installation
o Stadia Light & Shade Analysis – with detailed contour maps of light/shade levels and recommendations for supplementary lighting
- Pitch Management Consultancy
o Assessment & Analysis – thorough assessment of the current playing quality of your pitch
o Report & Management Plans – detailed reports and plans on achieving improvements of the pitch and addressing any current problem areas
o Pitch Monitoring – specialist consultants plan regular visits to monitor progress through quality measurements and advise on maintenance programmes
o Environmental Conditions Analysis – monitoring conditions such as temperature, rainfall, wind speed, light levels and humidity and assessing how to manage your sports turf in relation to these.
- Pitch Management for Events & Concerts
o Pre-event Planning – offering detailed action plan and advice on protection or replacement of pitch
o On-site Pitch Management – overseeing preparation and breakdown stages to minimise damage to pitch, rootzone and soil structure, as required
o Post-event Pitch Management – project managing the installation of new pitch or corrective works on existing pitch
- Emergency Pitch Remediation
o There are times when your pitch may not reach playing performance standards and requires immediate attention. We quickly identify issues and problem areas and develop and manage a plan to deliver quality results on the pitch within critical timescales.
- FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil
- Al Rayyan Stadium, Qatar
- King Abdullah Sports City, Saudi Arabia
- Grande Stade Stadium, France
- London Olympic Stadium, UK
- Otkrytie Arena, Moscow
- Metalist Stadium, Ukraine
- Donbass Arena, Ukraine
- Spartak Moscow Stadium, Russia
- Krasnodar Stadium, Russia
- Baku National Stadium, Azerbaijan
- City of Manchester Stadium, UK
- Croke Park, Ireland