Stade Marcel-Picot opened on the 8th of August 1926, though it took until 1935, when AS Nancy was founded, for the first football to get played at the stadium.
The stadium initially consisted of only one real stand, with the rest of the stadium consisting of earth banks arranged in the form of a series of steps.
A first new stand, the Hazotte Stand, was built in 1973, which resulted in an official capacity of more than 25 000. That official capacity was significantly surpassed in a match against Saint-Etienne in 1976, resulting in a record attendance of 30 384 visitors.
In 1978, the athletics track was removed and replaced with two new stands behind each goal.
Stade Marcel-Picot underwent a large redevelopment between 1999 and 2002. Three stands were completely rebuilt and the Hazotte Stand enlarged and refurbished, resulting in a fully enclosed modern stadium.
The stadium was initially selected to be one the playing venues of the Euro 2016 tournament, which would have involved an expansion to a capacity of over 30 000 seats. the project encountered funding difficulties and the city of Nancy decided to withdraw from the tournament.