Stade Bollaert-Delelis, earlier known as Stade Félix-Bollaert, officially opened in 1934 after a two-year construction period.
The oval-shaped stadium initially consisted of one covered grand stand and small terraces on the other sides. It could hold about 12,000 spectators.
Stade Félix-Bollaert remained largely unchanged until the 1970s, when a new main stand got built and the stadium lost its oval shape in favour of a rectangular one. Next, new stands got erected on the other sides.
The stadium got further enlarged in preparation of the 1984 European Championships. New stands and additional second tiers raised capacity from 39,000 to 51,000 places, making it for a short moment the largest stadium in France.
The stadium set its record attendance in 1992 when 48,912 spectators were witness of a league match between Lens and Marseille.
Soon after, Stade Félix-Bollaert got again selected to be a playing venue at a major tournament, this time the 1998 World Cup. The resulting redevelopment works involved the reconstruction of three of the four stands.
In 2004, the addition of further corporate facilities reduced capacity to just over 40,000. After Lens relegated to Ligue 2, the club decided to close down one of the stands of the stadium as it was not needed due to reduced attendances.
The stadium got renamed Stade Bollaert-Delelis in 2012 in honour of long-time major of the city André Delelis, who had died in the same year.
Two matches in the first group stage during the Euro 1984.
Five first round group matches and the round of 16 match between France and Paraguay (1-0) during World Cup 1998.