It started as Bayer sports field, the Stadium by the city park, Ulrich Haberland Stadium and finally the BayArena. The construction of the first sports ground started in 1923. The ground had two pitches and was known as Bayer Platz. In 1932, the new 'Am Stadtpark' stadium officially opened. In 1956, the construction of the Ulrich Haberland Stadium started. This stadium was named after former chairman of Bayer AG and opened on the 2nd of August 1958. In 1986, a rebuilding project began to convert it into a modern facility; the project continued intermittently over the following decade. The project was completed in 1997, making the stadium an ultramodern all-seater with a capacity of 22,500. The stadium was renamed BayArena in 1998. In 1998 the ground was renamed as the BayArena.
In 1999, a hotel attached to the stadium was completed, with some rooms having a view of the pitch. The stadium complex also includes a high-class restaurant, which also overlooks the pitch, and conference facilities.
The expansion and renovation of 2007-2009 added a second tier over the east, north and west sections, new VIP suites between the two tiers, a new oval roof covering all seats as well as the complete rebuild of the club's main facilities in the west section. It also saw the reintroduction of pure standing areas for the home supporters in the corner north/east. After Summer 2013 the pure standing area will stretch over the complete first rows in the north of the stadium.
-UEFA Cup 1988
-On September 30, 2008, BayArena was selected as one of nine venues to be used during the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup to house three group and one quarterfinal match.