The Estadio El Madrigal officially opened on the 17th of June 1923 with a match between CD Castellón and El Cervantes. The initial name was Campo del Villarreal, but two years later they changed the name into El Madrigal.
The stadium is located in Villarreal, Spain and is the home ground of Villarreal CF. The stadium has 22,000 seats, a figure which if half the population of the city. There's a statue of a yellow submarine outside the stadium to represent the club's nickname.
The first remodelling works took place before the 1952-1953 season. The size of the pitch was taken from 95 x 65 m to 105 x 65 m. During the 1960s the club erected a small covered stand, and during the '71 - '72 season, the southern stands were finished. In 1988 it was demolished to make room for a new stand which opened on 8 March 1989. For the club's 75th anniversary, new renovation works were started, which were finished in the 1999-2000 season.
To be approved for the UEFA Champions League, stadiums have to fulfil a series of demands, for which the stadium had to be quickly renovated in 2005 to meet those regulations.