Stade Abbé Deschamps opened on the 13th of October 1918, but it took until 1930 for a first proper stand to be built. At that time, the stadium was still called Stade de la Route de Vaux, but it got renamed in 1949 after the death of Auxerre’s founder Abbé Deschamps. Stade Abbé Deschamps remained a modest affair until in the early 1980s two new stands were erected behind the goals. In 1984, the main stand received a large refurbishment. The stands at the ends got rebuilt again ten years later in 1994. The stadium received a last minor upgrade in 2010 to meet the UEFA standards for Champions League matches.