The home of Legia Warsaw is Pepsi Arena ( naming rights contract until 2015 ) with historic name of Józef Piłdudski’s Polish Army Stadium at Łazienkowska 3 street . The stadium was built by The Capital City of Warsaw and is leased by Legia Warszawa S.A. from the City of Warsaw. It was officialy open in 2010 after a complete modernisation between 2008 – 2010 .
The first part of building the new stadium started on 17 November 2008 and in less than two years it was completed with three stands – North, East and South – ready to use. The new stadium is situated in the same place as the old one and during the construction works Legia played home games there but will smaller capacity (the West Stand was rebuilt later in order to let the small number of fans come to matches).
The new stadium was officialy open on August 7 2010 with a friendly match between Legia Warsaw and Arsenal FC, won 6-5 by the Gunners. The West Stand was finished and ready to use on May 11 2011 and the first game with the fans on all four stands was held on May 21 2011 when Legia won with arch rivals Wisla Krakow 2-0.
On July 20 2011 the contract with the naming rights sponsor was signed, thus establishing the marketing name Pepsi Arena.
The record attendance was recorded on June 2 2013 during the league game against Slask Wroclaw when 30,787 fans watched as Legia beat the outgoing Polish Champion 5-0, sealing the title for Warsaw. 30,786 spectators also came to the Europa League group stage game against Rapid Bucuresti, won 3-1 by our side, after which we got promoted to the round of 32.
Łazienkowska 3 street was the home to Legia Warsaw since the pre-war times. The first official match was held on August 9 1930 when Legia drew 1-1 against CF Europa Barcelona. The first goal in this stadium was scored by Henryk Matynia from the penalty kick in the 22th minute of that game. It was not until two weeks later when Legia played their first Polish league game in the stadium on 24 August 1930 against Czarni Lviv. In 1933 the stadium was officialy named The Polish Army Stadium.
During World War II the stadium was operated by the Nazis, which paradoxically saved it from being demolished. The Nazis used it to organise sports competitions and football matches. The stadium suffered when the Russian Red Army entered Warsaw and had to be renovated after the war.
In the 1960s the Polish Army Stadium was one of only a few in Poland equipped with floodlighting, the debut of which was on October 5 1960 during a UEFA European Champion Club’s Cup round of 32 game against AGF Arhus. Over the years many smaller and bigger overhauls were made, such as replacing wooden benches with plastic seating so the stadium’s capacity changed a few times.
In the last years of using the old stadium everyone waited for the new one, the building of which started in 2008. The last game at the old stadium was held on November 14 2008, when Legia beat Slask Wroclaw 4-0.