Parc de Princes was built to provide the city of Paris with a modern venue for important rugby and football matches. The stadium replaced the old Vélodrome, that had stood in its place since 1897.
Parc des Princes was officially opened on the 4th of June 1972 by French president Georges Pompidou. The first match was the Coupe de France final between Olympique Marseille and SC Bastia (2-1).
The stadium was lauded for its avant garde design and received several architectual prices. Its most striking feature were the 50 concrete columns that support the ring-shaped roof.
One year after the opening, the newly founded Paris Saint-Germain moved into the stadium.
Parc des Princes regularly hosted matches of the French national team, Coupe de France finals and it was the playing venue if several European Cup finals. The stadium was one of the playing venues of the 1998 World Cup.