It was on the 13th of September 1931 that the stadium was inaugurated, named after the father of President Pierre Guichard. From 1957 to the European Champiosnhips in 1984, the stadium was gradually developed to increase its capacity to 47 700 spaces, including 22 200 seats.
It is in this form that the stadium had its record attendance on the 11th of May 1985 when 47 747 spectators attended a round of 8 of the French Cup against Lille.
The stadium was given a facelift to host World Cup matches in 1998. Its capacity was modified to 35 616 seats. In 2007, the stadium has hosted the World Cup Rugby matches.
For EURO 2016, the stadium is currently being extensively renovated and its capacity will be increased to more than 40 000 seats.