Industry update: fan tokens and safe standing on the rise
Find our more on the plans of the stadium-community here
Development & Construction
- The planned expansion of Leicester turns out to affect three stands, instead of one (as initially announced). The main goal of the works however remains to increase the capacity by adding a second tier to the East Stand. This expansion will allow King Power Stadium to reach a capacity of 40,000 seats. Construction works are expected to start in spring 2022.
Safety & Security
- For the first time in 25 years, the Premier League starts trails again with safe standing for football fans. Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Chelsea (Premier League) and Cardiff City from the Championship succesfully applied for next year's safe standing trials. If all runs smoothly, safe standing could make a come-back in UK stadiums as of the 2022/23 season.
- As Monaco is the latest club to announce the launch of a fan token shortly. The fan token holders will have voting rights in polls, VIP rewards, exclusive promotions, AR-enabled features, games and competitions.
- GOALS, a European founded collaboration between Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies, the football federations of Romania, Kosovo and Portugal, and ESSMA, has created a survey to find out how grassroots football clubs work on their carbon footprint. Please share your input on environmentally friendly initiatives through the link below.
- Several football organizations like Johan Cruijff ArenA, KNVB, UEFA, City Football group and Ajax have joined forces again to tackle joint sustainability challenges in the football industry. The question at hand is: How can we minimize the carbon footprint of all travel movements around football matches, both professional as amateur level? Feel free to participate in this research and join Re-imagine football.
Operations & Ticketing
- Bayern Munich decided to take a next step for the virtual advertising solution at Allianz Arena. The new software-based solution is fully remotely operated with no personnel or specialist equipment required onsite at the Allianz Arena. This industrial grade broadcast platform enables Allianz Arena to deliver a wide variety of virtual advertising applications, which can create additional monetization opportunities.