Industry update: more on development, technology and fan experience
Read more on the stadium plans of Watford FC and Leeds United, the Fan Update scheme of Liverpool FC, an interactive map at Johan Cruijff ArenA and more in ESSMA’s weekly industry update.
Development & Construction
- Watford FC has appointed ESSMA Corporate Partner, Populous, to lead on the expansion of Vicarage Road to a total capacity of 32,000 seats.
- Leeds United reveals plans to expand Elland Road’s capacity from 37,000 to 50,000. The announcement was made by Angus Kinnear, the club’s Managing Director.
Operations & Ticketing
- With the Fan Update scheme, Liverpool FC ensures that all memberships are registered in the correct name of the account holder, with just one official membership registered per supporter.
Fan Experience & Hospitality
- Johan Cruijff ArenA launched a new interactive map, Wizzymaps. Wizzymaps is an interactive online floor plan to offer visitors with a simple overview of where to find the nearest entrance, which parking facilities are available, access to public transport and other activities. Wizzymaps is one of the winners of the Fan Experience Challenge, organised by Johan Cruijff ArenA.
- To support the events which are organised on the pitch of Mercedes-Benz Stadium, ESSMA Corporate Partner, Matrax, will install over 108,000 ft2 turf protection. With Matrax’ Heavy Duty Turf Protection Event Flooring System, the pitch can be protected when organising non-sporting events.
- UEFA has signed deals with three media and technology start-ups and launched its dedicated Open Innovation Platform. The approached areas are digital highlight packages; football development’s monitoring and a fan engagement platform.