Industry update: more on development, ticketing and sustainability
Read more on reusable cups at Signal Iduna Park, smoke-free Eredivisie and Keuken Kampioen Divisie stadiums, renovation at FC Metz and more in ESSMA’s weekly industry update.
SMART & Sustainability
- From the 2019/20 season, Borussia Dortmund will implement a new reusable cup systemat Signal Iduna Park. All 0.5 liter cold drinks will be served in the new returnable cups. Keeping sustainability in mind, the club has created other initiatives regarding sustainability for example, no more plastic straws in VIP areas and no plastic lids for takeaway coffee.
Operations & Ticketing
- Peterborough United launched a 10-Game Flexi ticket for the 2019/20 season. After listening to fan feedback, the club designed a tailor-made package for fans who are not able to attend every League One home match. The 10-game ticket has been structured in two price categories and have the following benefits:
o Any 10 home league games for 2019/20 season
o Money saving on matchday prices
o Book matches when it suits their schedule
o 10 priority points per game booked
- The European Card is a new initiative of AIK Fotboll, designed specifically for the club’s qualifying matches of the 2019 UEFA Champions League campaign. If AIK Fotboll continues into the group stages of the competition, the club offers the possibility to extend the European Card. In addition, fans also have priority on tickets for the away matches.
Safety & Security
- All Eredivisie and Keuken Kampioen Divisiestadiums will be smoke-free from the start of the 2020/21 season. With the campaignrookvrijestadions.nl, they want to discourage fans to smoke within the stadium. Clubs including Vitesse, AFC Ajax and Almere City are already completely smoke-free clubs.
|More info on the smoke-free initiative|
Development & Construction
- Bernard Serin, the President of FC Metz, officially unveiled the renovation project of Stade Saint-Symphorien, where works on the South Tribune have already started. The project involves significant renovation of their current stadium and the construction of a new training center. The works include:
o A new South Tribune by August 2020
o Aesthetics in architecture of the entire stadium
o A pedestrian square at the back of Tribune Sud
o Replacement of seats in the East, West and North stands
o A total revamp of the audiovisual system
o Fully renovated access control