Industry update: more on digitalisation, pitch awards and Fan Experience & Hospitality
Read more on digital platforms for the FIFA 2018 World Cup Russia™ and FC Bayern München, a new hospitality programme at Watford FC and the award-winning Al Thumama Stadium & De Kuip in this short industry update by ESSMA.
Sustainability & SMART
- As part of FIFA's Climate Action Campaign, ticket holders of the 2018 World Cup in Russia have a chance to win tickets for the final if they participate in the campaign to reduce their carbon footprint. The organisation will offset 2,9 tonnes of carbon emissions for every person that signs up by investing in projects that remove or prevent emissions. Moreover, the use of public transport will be encouraged as match tickets will count as transport tickets as well.
- The MIPIM/Architectural Review Future Project Award in sport and stadiums industry has been given out to Al Thumama Stadium, one of the stadiums designed for the 2022 FIFA World Cup™. The award honours excellence in not-yet-built or under construction projects in 12 different categories. The stadium differentiates itself from other stadiums because of the technological innovations used in their design and construction as well as their connectedness to surrounding urban and environmental planning.
- For the fifth year in a row, Feyenoord has won the prize for best pitch of the season in the Eredivisie. All captains of the Eredivisie clubs voted for the best pitch during the 2017-2018 season, Feyenoord scored 4,8 out of 5.
Fan Experience & Hospitality
- FC Bayern München will launch an FCB Digital & Media Lab GmbH subsidiary, starting from the 2018/2019 season. The areas to be combined include editorial activities, digital marketing & CRM, digital platforms & innovations, IT and more.
- FIFA is set to offer all teams in the upcoming 2018 World Cup Russia™ a technical set-up for match analysts and the coaching team to interact via an analyst application. This allows them to analyse the game live and give out instructions immediately via radio communication or a chat tool.
- Watford FC has partnered up with CARBON to create an exclusive luxury private members club for the 2018/19 season. On matchday, hospitality will start with a champagne reception, followed by a five-course meal.
- Belgian TV broadcaster Proximus unveiled an initiative involving strategic partnerships with ESL and Pro League, the top division of Belgian football. The ESL Proximus Championships will launch various competitions with the likes of League of Legends and Counter-Strike: Global-Offensive. Furthermore, starting in June, EsportTV from ESL will be broadcasted to all their customers.