Industry update: more on eSports, fan experience & hospitality and stadium redevelopment
Read more on stadium plans at Real Madrid CF and Birmingham City FC, fan experience initiatives at Principality Stadium and FC Inter Milan and eSports at the French national football team in this short industry update by ESSMA.
Construction & Development
- Alexander Stadium, home of Birmingham City FC, will be refurbished for the 2022 Commonwealth Games, increasing the capacity from 12,000 to 40,000, retaining 20,000 after the event. The £70 millionrenovation will include new community sports facilities, a permanent warm-up track and new conference meeting rooms for after the Commonwealth Games.
- The city hall of Madrid has approved the redevelopment plans of Santiago Bernabéu, home of Real Madrid CF. A public access area will be built with a parking underneath as well as future access routes to the stadium. Works are expected to start this summer and last about two years.
Fan Experience & Hospitality
- FC Inter Milan has organised an ‘Inter Social Night’ around their last football match. The goal of the initiative was to create buzz around the game by a number of activities both at the stadium and on social media by fans and influencers.
© Inter Milan
- The Principality Stadium will test out an alcohol-free zone ahead of the autumn matches of the Welsh Rugby team. The stadium will have a dedicated seating area where alcoholic drinks are prohibited. This disposition is being taken after a research was carried out with supporters at recent matches.
- 16 players have been selected to participate in a qualification session for the new eSports team of the Féderation Française de Football. A Final Four of players will then remain to match up against other international teams during the international season.