Industry update: more on safe standing, fan experience and development
Read more on safe standing at San Mamés, the inauguration of Al Wakrah Stadium, the PSG experience and more in ESSMA’s weekly industry update.
Fan Experience & Hospitality
- Paris Saint-Germain will launch the PSG EXPERIENCE. This interactive and immersive programme gives fans the opportunity to visit Parc des Princes through multiple experiences including virtual reality and immersive videos. The experience is built around three phases:
- PSG Stadium Tour: a reinvented stadium visit
- History Room: featuring a wall of trophies and an immersive video experience
- PSG Arcade VR: a 400 m2 arcade room devoted virtual reality experiences
- Stoke City have achieved the EFL’s Family Excellence status for their work in engaging families on matchdays at their home venue, bet365 stadium. The status is a recognition of the club’s continuous improvement and best practices in family engagement to attract and retain fans of the future. It was determined by feedback and reports of two ‘mystery family’ visits through the 2018/19 season and makes the one of the 63 clubs throughout the league to attain the status.
- Two representatives of the LaLiga eSports TEAM, from Real Betis and AD Alcorcon, will take part in the Asia eSports Cup 2019. The LaLiga eSports TEAM have been involved in a series of activations that began back in October 2018 with an exhibition match held in China. The participation aims to boost LaLiga’s presence in the eSports world and raise the awareness of players emerging from Virtual LaLiga eSports Santander.
- Burnley FC in the Community has officially opened its new community leisure facility in Brierfield. The dynamic and multipurpose three floor leisure facility houses an indoor 4G pitch, a sports hall, a ‘clip ‘n climb’ structure, a kids and toddler play area, two full size cricket lanes, for-hire party rooms, a dance & fitness studio and a café. The Leisure Box aims to bring an affordable leisure offer to the entire community, with a number of Burnley FC in the Community projects including football sessions, disability sport and kids’ play offered free of charge.
- Texas Rangers Baseball Club has implemented the 3D virtualisation technology of ESSMA Corporate Partner, 3D Digital Venue, to build a sales preview centre and boost New Texas Rangers Ball Park inventory sales. The tool allows the team to display all the spaces in an interactive environment and allowed patrons to receive a first class experience when making their premium selections at the Globe Life Field Sales Center. During the sales process each client is provided a personalised experience, made possible by VIP3D’s capability to provide an interactive view of the premium seats, suites, and clubs associated with their purchase.
Safety & Security
- Athletic Club has introduced the ‘Rail Seat’ system at San Mamés, to improve fan experience and increase safety. The rail seats can be quickly unlocked to make them seated ones, so the issue of stadiums have to be all-seater for matches in European competition is solved. The new seats will contribute to the stadium experience of not only fans who want to watch the game standing, but also of those fans who prefer to sit as now they won’t have to worry about their line of sight being blocked.
Development & Construction
- The Espai Barça project receives green light from The Government Commission of the Barcelona City Council for the urbanisation project that includes the interventions that will be made in the streets and open spaces. The project will create a large open space around the stadium and will renew and expand the surrounding streets to reorder the road and pedestrian access. The objective is to create a free land which will be of open use and adequately urbanized so that it becomes open to citizenship and a sustained urban activity. The works are expected to start this autumn. More details about the Espai Barça project can be found in ESSMA’s Stadium Development Report Issue 1 2019.
- Al Wakrah Stadium, the newly built venue for the 2022 FIFA World Cup™, will be inaugurated on 16 May when it hosts the 2019 Amir Cup final. Prior to the final, an inauguration ceremony will take place. Al Wakrah Stadium is the second stadium to be delivered by the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, the organisation responsible for delivering the infrastructure for the 2022 FIFA World Cup™. After the World Cup, the stadium’s capacity will be reduced to 20,000 as a result of its modular construction, with the excess seats being donated to sporting projects overseas.