Industry update: more on stadium renovations, construction and fan engagement
Read more on several stadium development projects and renovations and see examples of social media integration for fan engagement in this short stadium industry update by ESSMA.
- AS Roma announced that construction of the new Stadio della Roma will commence in May 2018. Currently they still share a stadium with SS Lazio, but by the 2020/21 season they hope to play their home games in the new 55,000 seats capacity stadium.
source: AS Roma
- Tottenham Hotspur released ‘The Lane 360’. With the app, fans have the opportunity to access the dressing rooms, concourses and other exclusive areas in the old White Hart Lane stadium. It recreates every element of a match and offers fans an exclusive experience.
- The organizing committee of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics have proposed to reduce the stadium capacity of 12 venues. Among venues, is the National Stadium of Tokyo, which will reduce its capacity from 80,000 to 68,000.
- AFC Wimbledon is planning to build a new football stadium with a 11,000-20,000 capacity including retail space, 602 residential units and a squash and fitness club. The new stadium will be located next to their original home at Plough Lane.
source: AFC Wimbledon
- Manchester City is the first Premier League club to launch a game on Facebook Messenger. With ‘Manchester City Football Striker’, gamers use a cartoon football player to strike as many bouncing balls as possible to earn rewards. Manchester City fans can upload their score on the leaderboard and compete against other fans around the world.
- Crystal Palace FC have plans to upgrade their current Selhurst Park. The plans include a new five-storey stand, resulting in a stadium capacity increase from 26,000 to more than 34,000 seats. The redevelopment plans are designed by stadium architects KSS and construction costs are expected to be between €85 and 115 million.
- Fans of FC Nantes, SM Caen and RC Lens had the chance to send a design of their favourite jersey to the Snapchat account of Umbro France. Last week, the elected jerseys have been unveiled and the limited edition jerseys are available in the official fanshops of the respective clubs.