Industry update: more on sustainability, stadium projects and fan experience
Read more on the 2018 FIFA World Cup, new stadium projects for the Scottish Rugby and Angers SCO, additional revenue streams for clubs, sustainability initiatives for the 2024 Olympic Games, etc. in this short industry update by ESSMA.
- During the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™️, FIFA will open a World Football Museum in Moscow, named History Makers. Central to the whole experience is a giant circular LED screen, showing highlights and memorable moments from past finals and players.
- The French Football Federation revealed their budget for the 2018 - 2019 season. With over €250 million, the budget increased with 22% compared to 2011. This is mainly due to increased revenue streams from new partnerships and broadcasting rights.
- At Stade Océane, home of Le Havre AC, several VIP boxes will be transformed into 20 luxury hotel rooms, which will be rented out throughout the year. The hotel will focus both on business clients attending seminars during the week and tourists during the weekends.
- Goal-line Technology, Video Assistant Referee and Electronic Performance & Tracking Systems will provide additional support to the referees during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™️. The technology has been prepared and tested by the FIFA Football Technology Innovation team.
SMART & Sustainability
- Sports ministers across the EU have endorsed a ‘vision for sport’ including promoting environmental excellence when constructing sports facilities and major events. The 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games Paris are a unique opportunity to optimise environmental excellence.
Construction & Development
- Scottish Rugby applied for a planning permission to build a new venue on the ground of BT Murrayfield with a 7,800 capacity. The new stadium is intended to be the home of Edinburgh Rugby and will be located on the former training pitches.
- Angers SCO announced that from the beginning of October, they will renovate their Raymond Kopa stadium including work on the Saint Leonard tribune. The stadium is pre-selected to host the EURO U21 in 2021.
- The FBA, an ESSMA Partner, have partnered up with Swiss Football club Servette FC to promote football in the Geneva Region. As part of the final module of the FBA programme, candidates will learn more about the Stade de Genève.
- The three-day ECA Club Management Programme (CMP) is taking place in the US. Over 40 ECA Member Clubs will learn insights into the unique American sports model with visits to Yankee Stadium and the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
- The technology of VOGO Sport, an ESSMA Corporate Partner, will be integrated at the Bird Nest Stadium in Beijing. The application will allow fans to increase their on-site experience.