Industry update: new stadium projects and naming rights
Be sure to check our last stadium industry overview of 2021!
Development & Construction
- Valencia CF revealed plans to invest in a new stadium project. The construction should start as of September 2022
- Football clubs Inter Milan and AC Milan have announced that the iconic San Siro will be replaced by a stadium designed by architecture studio Populous, a corporate partner of ESSMA. Only a few weeks ago, the iconic San Siro hosted the ESSMA pre-Summit tour, together with Casa Milan. See some pictures from our visit!
- FC Dinamo takes important next steps in the construction of their new stadium. The new arena, with an aspired capacity of 33,000 seats, will be build on the site of the current venue and is currently undergoing feasibility studies. The next step will be to announce a tender for the construction design.
Safety and Security
- Mid-October, one of the stands of Goffers-stadium in the Netherlands collapsed, as 93 fans were celebrating the victory of Vitesse. The reason for the collapse was too much pressure on the lower parts of the stand caused by bouncing fans. Although it seemed it would be a long time before fans could return, the damage was less severe than originally thought off. The fans will be able to return as of mid-January, depending on the development of the pandemic situation.
Operations and Ticketing
- French insurance company Groupama has extended its agreement for naming rights to the home stadium of Ligue 1 football club Olympique Lyonnais. The new agreement expires in July 2025.
Sustainability and SMART
- The EU-funded GOALS project held a third steering committee in Italy last week! Good progress was made on the design of the environmental footprint calculator by the Santa Anna School of Advances Studies, Real Betis Balompie Foundation, the Portuguese FA (PFF), the Romanian Federation (FRF), Kosovarian Federation (FFK) and ESSMA.