Recycling the old stadium into a new Stade du Hameau
Sylvain Caliman, Stadium Manager of Section Paloise, shared insights on the development and process of the new Stade du Hameau during the ESSMA Summit.
As part of the redevelopment process, four main target points were taken in mind:
- Aesthetic: creating an overall unity and a new look
- Economic: one of the least expensive rugby stadiums in France
- Timeliness: respect deadlines and finish in time
- Ecological: building an environmental-friendly stadium
The construction was divided into three phases:
Phase 1: September 2016 - February 2017
Phase 2: February 2017 - August 2017
Phase 3: February 2017 - August 2017
Additionally, the club also constructed the MACRON training centre with the same targets as their stadium and a €2 million budget. The training facility was built in six months and it includes a medical area, video room, dressing rooms, exercise rooms, three pitches and more.
Stade du Hameau today
After 18 months of construction, the new Stade du Hameau was inaugurated on 2 December with a game against Union Bordeaux Bègles. The stadium’s capacity has been expanded from 16,884 to 18,324 including 1,721 VIP seats and 32 places for disabled people.
- New pitch from the 2018-2019 season
- 100% connected stadium (including WiFi and a partnership with Vogo Sport)
- Fan zone
- Additional parking
- Kids area in the stand
Furthermore, in 3 to 4 years, the club aims to have a closed stadium including a new Ossau stand, integration of office space, a roof unit and a large screen between the Honour and Ossau stand.
- Involve your partners
- Try to keep the club’s identity and history
- Provide a higher budget for unestimated additional costs
- Knowledge sharing with other stadiums and best practices
- Communication is key in the process
- Build step by step
The recorded version of Sylvain Caliman's presentation can be found on the Knowledge Platform. All presentations of the ESSMA Summit are available on the Knowledge Platform. The ESSMA Knowledge Platform is only available for ESSMA members. If you have not received your login, contact email@example.com.