The usage of data to improve the stadium experience at TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
Daniel Uthmann - Marketing Project Manager at TSG 1899 Hoffenheim - shared how the club is using data to enhance the matchday experience.
Matchday stadium show
Daniel and his team prepare the stadium show which varies each matchday. In general, the show starts 40 minutes before kick-off and consists of:
- Highlights of previous matches
- Information of upcoming matches
- Statistics including goals, distance,..
- Interviews, club news, ticketing information,..
“In order to ensure the best stadium experience we need to know what our fans like, want and expect.”
Survey stadium experience
To get a better understanding of their fans and their expectations, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim conducted a survey, which consisted of three main topics:
- Arrival on matchday: when do you arrive, what do you before the game, what is missing, would you arrive earlier if…
- Inside the stadium: when do you enter the stadium, would you arrive earlier if.., how would you rate,...
- Post-match: would you stay longer in the stadium if you could watch highlights of other matches, if the F&B kiosks would stay open longer, how much money do you spend,...
Location based services
Based on the survey results, the club decided to implement a location based service with iBeacons. In total, they installed 700 iBeacons. There are around 140 points of interest which fans can access via the club app. Furthermore, the technology is part of the club’s app and fans can filter on navigation through the stadium, location of the nearest toilets, fan shop promotions and so on.
“With the location based push notifications we can target specific points of interest and interact on a more personalised level with our fans.”
In addition, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim is planning to implement several other features to enhance the fan experience including a function to memorise the location of your car so you can easily find it back after the match, the possibility to vote during the stadium show and special merchandising options when fans pass by the fan shop.
Go to our ESSMA Flickr account for more pictures.
|Access the Summit presentations on the ESSMA Knowledge Platform|
Shared Access sponsored the Fan Experience seminarShared Access are an independent owner and operator of wireless communications infrastructure, leasing space on our sites to different mobile network operators.